Senior Associate, Policy (Ohio)
Please see details about this job opening below. To apply, click here for the job application.
The Senior Associate, Policy (Ohio) will lead CEO’s efforts to engage state and local officials, community-based organizations, and formerly incarcerated individuals in addressing workforce-related barriers for individuals returning home from incarceration. They will also play a key role in increasing funding for reentry employment across the state of Ohio. The Senior Associate, Policy (Ohio) will collaborate with the broader National Policy Team as well as regional and specific program teams to develop statewide policy strategies that impact not only CEO’s Ohio participants but all individuals returning from incarceration in Ohio.
This role is ideal for someone interested in influencing and implementing impactful change in the lives of individuals affected by the criminal justice system by serving as an advocate for all persons affected by federal and state policies that create barriers to employment.
Who We Are
CEO began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City. We’ve grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You come to CEO with a passion for data-informed, mission-driven work and 3-5 years of experience in criminal justice policy or programming.
- You have extensive knowledge of criminal justice policy in Ohio and are connected to existing networks in the Ohio policy sector (preferably related to criminal justice)
- You’re an outstanding communicator, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in writing and to tailor your communication style to engage and motivate various stakeholders
- You’re a strategic thinker with demonstrated experience in research and data analysis; you’ve utilized data findings to inform your perspective and decision-making
- You’re confident in your ability to building relationships with public agencies, community-based organizations, and high-level public officials to develop, implement, and promote new programs and projects
- You’re a self-starter with the organizational skills necessary to work independently and manage projects as you coordinate many moving pieces and projects under tight timelines
- You come to CEO with a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Public Policy, Social Work, or a related field (a Master’s degree is preferred)
Responsibilities of the Senior Associate, Policy (Ohio) will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborating with CEO’s National Policy and Program teams to develop and implement reentry employment policy strategies for CEO’s Ohio programs
- Monitoring and analyzing all relevant state legislation and its impacts on CEO’s program
- Engaging policy organizations (at both local and state level) to understand and support statewide criminal justice reform efforts
- Supporting CEO’s National Policy and Program teams in expanding funding for reentry employment across the state
- Contributing to CEO’s overall mission of the removal of employment barriers for participants
- Identifying and sharing best practices related to criminal justice reform policy and the mitigation of collateral consequences from the field with local and national stakeholders.
- Engaging CEO participants in CEO’s Ohio policy work through civic building activities and advocacy in collaboration with CEO’s Regional Director and Ohio Program Directors
- Leading CEO’s coalition building and collaborative work with other local and state policy organizations in Ohio
- Engaging national resources in message development and strategy refinement
- Collecting, summarizing, and analyzing state data and CEO program data to inform CEO’s Ohio policy strategy
- Drafting and distributing written materials, including reports, presentations, and briefs, as needed
- Identifying and attending trainings, conferences, and other meetings to further inform CEO’s Ohio policy strategy
- Perform additional job-related duties and responsibilities as assigned
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is 60-75K, commensurate with demonstrated experience and abilities. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.