Senior Associate, Policy
Please see details about this opening below. To apply, click here for the application.
The Senior Associate, Policy will support CEO’s efforts to engage state and local officials, community-based organizations, and formerly incarcerated individuals in addressing workforce-related barriers for individuals returning home from incarceration. This role will lead CEO’s efforts to develop a program that engages our participants in CEO’s policy work in Ohio, ensuring that people who have been directly impacted by incarceration are able to weigh into and contribute to CEO’s policy work in the state. The Senior Associate, Policy will also collaborate with the broader National Policy Team and other teams to develop statewide policy strategies that impact not only CEO’s Ohio participants but all individuals returning from incarceration in Ohio.
This role is ideal for someone who is interested in influencing and implementing impactful change in the lives of individuals affected by the criminal justice system. People who have been justice involved in the past are strongly encouraged to apply as such knowledge and experience would strengthen this work.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You come to CEO with a passion for data-informed, mission-driven work and have at least 3 years of experience in criminal justice policy or programming.
- You have experience working with grassroots organizations and/or individuals most impacted by incarceration
- You have an understanding of criminal justice policy in Ohio and are connected to existing networks in the Ohio policy sector (preferably related to criminal justice)
- You’re an outstanding communicator, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in writing and to tailor your communication style to engage and motivate various stakeholders
- You’re a strategic thinker with demonstrated experience in research and data analysis; you’ve utilized data findings to inform your perspective and decision-making
- You’re confident in your ability to build relationships with public agencies, community-based organizations, and high-level public officials to develop, implement, and promote new programs and projects
- You’re a self-starter with the organizational skills necessary to work independently and manage projects as you coordinate many moving pieces and projects under tight timelines
- You are located in either Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati.
Responsibilities of the Senior Associate, Policy (Ohio) will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead the development and implementation of an initiative to engage CEO participants in CEO’s Ohio policy work
- Collaborate with CEO’s National Policy and Program teams to support the development and implementation of reentry employment policy strategies for CEO’s Ohio programs
- Monitor and analyze all relevant state legislation and its impacts on CEO’s program
- Engage policy organizations (at both local and state level) to understand and support statewide criminal justice reform efforts
- Support CEO’s National Policy and Program teams in expanding funding for reentry employment across the state as needed
- Contribute to CEO’s overall mission of the removal of employment barriers for participants
- Identify and share best practices related to criminal justice reform policy and the mitigation of collateral consequences from the field with local and national stakeholders.
- Coordinate CEO’s coalition building and collaborative work with other local and state policy organizations in Ohio
- Engage national resources in message development and strategy refinement
- Collect, summarize, and analyze state data and CEO program data to inform CEO’s Ohio policy strategy
- Draft and distribute written materials, including reports, presentations, and briefs, as needed
- Identify and attend trainings, conferences, and other meetings to further inform CEO’s Ohio policy strategy
- Perform additional job-related duties and responsibilities as assigned
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is 60-65K, commensurate with demonstrated experience and abilities. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.