Please see details about this job opening below. To apply, click here for the job application.
We’re seeking a Payroll Manager to lead our payroll functions, managing the day-to-day operations for delivery of payroll services across our national organization, in a way that balances required service levels to employees, high level of statutory compliance and strong partnership with stakeholders. The Payroll Manager will report to the Payroll Director and will work to ensure our payroll expenses and taxes are paid accurately and on time. This position requires the supervision of our payroll team and to liaise with other professionals within and outside of the Center for Employment Opportunities. The ideal candidate is analytical and methodical, with experience in payroll administration and deep knowledge of payroll regulations. We also value integrity, team spirit, and strong organizational skills.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, and the Rockefeller Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You have a commitment to CEO’s mission and interest in working in a fast paced, growing results oriented nonprofit environment
- You come to CEO with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Information Technology, Finance, or a related field and at least 5 years of processing multi-state payroll
- You have extensive knowledge and demonstrated leadership in Payroll & Accounting procedures and Payroll Tax Laws & Regulations
- You have knowledge of and have worked with accounting software such as; Sage Intacct Accounting Software, etc
- You have experience with implementation, integration, and/or migration of a major Payroll system
- You have experience leading and managing a dynamic payroll team for a large organization
- You’re thoughtful about the details and are passionate about ensuring accuracy of your work in a timely manner
- You’re a relationship/team builder who is able to build trust and rapport with internal and external stakeholders
- You’re an effective written and verbal communicator
- You’re very comfortable with technology, including Google Suite and Excel
- You have the ability to analyze and identify problems; taking the appropriate steps to resolve issues quickly and confidentially
Key responsibilities of the Payroll Manager include but are not limited to:
- Management of the day-to-day operations of the Payroll Team, coordinating with key players to deliver pay accurately, timely, effectively, within all regulatory, labor, and tax guidelines
- Providing oversight of the payroll teams activities and duties
- Management of payroll team workload to meet operational requirements; analyzing and identifying areas for improvement and efficiencies
- Developing and maintaining strong/productive relationships with internal teams and stakeholders
- Ensuring payroll is processed in an accurate, compliant, and timely manner
- Direct the preparation of payroll related documents
- Providing appropriate documentation through various journal entries, account reconciliations, and general ledger support
- Management and oversight of timecards, time entry, and timekeeping through appropriate software and systems in a timely manner
- Preparation of relevant weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports
- Monitoring the accurate processing of staff transfers, promotions, and terminations
- Maintain and management of payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures as needed
- Management of payroll staff job results by counseling and developing employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Overseeing the maintenance of current employee data systems through ADP and Salesforce
- Ensuring all payroll information and records are maintained in accordance with statutory requirements and regulations
- Supporting the internal and external audits related to payroll such as; SOX, tax audits, etc
- Research and Interpret new legislation impacting payroll requirements and duties
Perks and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $73,000 - $83,000, commensurate with experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please note that due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to contact each applicant regarding the status of each position or reply to candidates' inquiries via phone or email.
Please click here to apply.