LSE Instructor and Outreach Specialist
CEO is looking to hire an Outreach and Life Skills Instructor who will serve as the face of the organization within parole offices and Community Based Organizations(CBOs), developing and deepening relationships with parole officers(POs), providing them with information about our work, and building their commitment to referring a strong pipeline of participants for our programs. The outreach portion of the role consists of meeting with parole officers, recruiting program participants, and leading presentations about our program and offerings. The Life Skills Educator portion of this role teaches a new group of 5–10 formerly incarcerated individuals each week in a 4-day class between every 1-3 weeks. They lead all qualified participants through group workshops that help prepare them for work on CEO's transitional work sites and permanent employment in the labor force.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the GreenLight Fund, the Pew Charitable Trust, and the Nonprofit Finance Fund. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You come with demonstrated commitment to CEO’s mission and interest in working in a fast-growing and results-oriented nonprofit environment
- You come to CEO with 1-3 years of relevant experience
- You have strong time management and prioritizing skills
- You come with experience providing feedback and guidance to help participants or constituents strengthen their knowledge and skills
- You have the ability to take into account and analyze various points of view and data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context
- You come to CEO with strong communication skills and can you “flip the script” to adapt to the styles, needs, and demands of different audiences.
- You understand the importance of strong customer relationship management and achieving programmatic outcomes
- You enjoy supporting and motivating people to achieve short and long-term goals
- You have the ability to ascertain the priorities of a particular individual or group and craft persuasive written or verbal communication given those priorities
Responsibilities of the Life Skills Instructor and Outreach Specialist include but are not limited to:
Teaching, Coaching, and Supporting
- Present well-prepared, organized, and clear content that follows CEO’s course syllabus to participants enthusiastically and with deep care
- Guide and coach participants in key preparatory activities tied to employment, including writing professional resumes, networking, and mock interviews
- Help participants become job-start ready by promoting their development and effective utilization of communication and self-presentation skills
- Engage participants in ongoing discussions about their employment goals
- Offer support, encouragement. and constructive feedback to all participants
- Keep abreast of current practices and events that could impact participants; making suggestions about new material to incorporate into the curriculum
- Create an engaging and interactive learning environment for participants
Outreach and Recruitment
- Conduct outreach & engagement activities by visiting Probation, Parole and other Community Based Organizations (CBOs)
- Develop and maintain relationships with Probation/Parole officers (POs), CBOs and key stakeholders; attend Community Partnership Meetings
- Present CEO’s programs and services to interested potential enrollees and community partners; distribute marketing materials; responds to email and phone inquiries
- Assist vocational team with obtaining proof of self-obtained employment; lead follow-up efforts with POs as well as keep POs in the loop regarding individual participants
- Create participants and consistently/accurately document all participant contact and progress in our case management system (Salesforce)
- Monitor and record class attendance
- Escort participants to nearby agencies to apply for documents when needed
- Perform other tasks and responsibilities that will be assigned from time to time; including but not limited to outreach by phone-call, email and mail to exited participants to obtain and record positive employment outcomes
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $40,000/annually In an effort to be both equitable and transparent, CEO's compensation philosophy considers a variety of factors, including, but not limited to, experience, internal equity, and home office location in making a final determination on our salary offer. We recognize that salary is a part of the overall compensation package and are happy to provide health, dental, 401k, and professional development opportunities to our staff.
We also offer paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.