Life Skills Educator
Please see details about this job opening below. To apply, click here for the job application.
We are seeking an engaging, adaptable, and inspirational Life Skills Educator (LSE) to lead large group workshops for our program participants -- formerly incarcerated men and women -- that prepare them for success in temporary and permanent employment. The workshops are comprised of our participants and take place in our Louisville office four days a week. The Life Skills Educator will also support the Louisville Site Director with administrative and operational duties to ensure the smooth and seamless operation of the site.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) is dedicated to providing immediate, effective, and comprehensive employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. CEO’s programs help participants regain the skills and confidence needed for successful transitions to stable, productive lives. CEO serves more than 6,000 participants a year, giving them the opportunity to support themselves and their families, remain crime-free, and contribute positively to their communities.
Headquartered in New York City, CEO currently operates across nine states. In 2016, CEO embarked on a five-year strategic plan to serve 11,000 participants annually. CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations, including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, James Irvine Foundation, Tipping Point Community, and Google.org, among many others.
Who You Are
- You’re deeply dedicated to social justice and perhaps are already working in the re-entry field
- You come to CEO with at least 2 years of experience teaching or leading group presentations
- You consider yourself to be a people person with the ability to lift morale and present content in a way that’s exciting and engaging to participants
- You’re inspirational and passionate about helping individuals become the best version of themselves
- You’re able to learn and convey program content quickly and accurately using your excellent communication skills and flexibility to change up your style to ensure participant understanding
- You’re comfortable with providing the feedback and support necessary to facilitate the development of participant knowledge and skills
- You take other perspectives into account when analyzing problems
- You’re self-motivated and diligent as you hold yourself accountable to deadlines, even in the face of adversity
- You’re highly organized with top notch time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities seamlessly or ask for support with prioritization when needed
- You’re very comfortable learning new technologies that an organization adopts/implements
- You’re bilingual in English/Spanish (preferred not required)
Key responsibilities of the LSE include but are not limited to:
Life Skills Education
- Presenting well-prepared, organized, and clear content that follows CEO’s course syllabus to participants enthusiastically and with deep care
- Guiding and coaching participants in key preparatory activities tied to employment, including writing professional resumes, networking, and mock interviewing
- Helping participants become job-start ready by promoting their development and effective utilization of communication and self-presentation skills
- Engaging participants in ongoing discussions about their employment goals
- Offering support, encouragement. and constructive feedback to all participants
- Keeping abreast of current practices and events that could impact participants; making suggestions about new material to incorporate into the curriculum
- Ensuring that participants’ experiences are strong and adhere to best practices
- Keeping Parole Officers in the loop regarding individual participant progress
- Collaborating with other internal departments and the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision to gather information and promote special projects
- Inputting participants contact and progress information into our case management system (Salesforce)
- Monitoring and documenting class attendance
- Performing other tasks and responsibilities that will be assigned from time to time
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is between $40,000 - $42,000. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
How to Apply
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume via our website (www.ceoworks.org/careers). Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please click here to apply.