Equipment Operator / Engineer (Tractor)
Please see details about this job opening below. To apply, click here for the job application.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) offers comprehensive employment services exclusively for people with criminal records. CEO’s model is based on a highly structured program of life skill education, short-term paid transitional employment, full-time job placement, and post-placement services. This year, CEO anticipates preparing more than 6,000 people to move into mainstream employment.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
We’re looking for a Equipment Operator / Engineer (Tractor)that is experienced in operating highway mowing and tractor equipment. This individual has specific understanding and experience with vegetation control along highways and brush or debris removal around roadways.
Responsibilities of the Equipment Operator / Engineer (Tractor) will include but are not limited to the following:
- Safely operate a large brush hog tractor and perform repetitive mowing services on a daily basis
- Focus on, communicate, encourage and contribute to site safety in all aspects of the job and all organization meetings
- Ensure quality and safety of brush hogging, meeting or exceeding contractual standards at all times
- Ensure equipment is in working order and can safely complete the needed tasks; performs daily quantity and quality checks on assigned equipment
- Proactively identify, remove and/or report potential hazards
- Understand all contractual obligations and specifications and verify accurate and completed work orders or tasks
- Work with Site Supervisor to develop knowledge of each site and conduct a morning tailgate safety meeting
- Share updates or concerns with the Site Director prior to beginning of each day
- Maintain proper inventory of assigned materials, equipment and other supplies on hand to complete mowing production activities
- Comply with city, state, and TDOT contractual safety procedures and protocols in the performance of job duties to include reporting all accidents, incidents, and injuries witnessed or incurred
- Maintain high level of good housekeeping and care of company assets on the crew, including vehicles, shop, equipment, and attachments
- Assist Site Director with coordinating and managing crew equipment inventory, including purchases and repairs
Who You Are
- You’re results driven
- You’re capable of performing standard measurements using geometric tools (including tape measure, protractor, etc.)
- You’re able to compute mathematical equations
- You’re able to read and follow instructions, asking questions when needed
- You keep calm and are able to operate under pressure
- You’re a strong communicator, both verbally and in writing
- You exercise excellent interpersonal and communication skills in building working relationships and resolving conflicts with people of varying backgrounds and experiences
- You foster strong team spirit and enjoy providing 1:1 support to team members that may need extra encouragement
- You’ve demonstrated commitment to CEO’s mission and are interested in working in a fast-growing and results-oriented nonprofit environment
- You must be able to work a typical schedule of 6:30AM-4:30PM every weekday (M-F) and be willing to work outdoors in all weather
- You have the ability to lift, push or pull 50 pounds alone and 100 pounds with assistance
- High school diploma, along with at least three years of tractor operating & using a brush hog experience
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Previous safety training regarding tractor operation and implements preferable, though training of what CEO asks of our Tractor Operators will be provided to hired candidates
- Must be able to:
- Consistently lift and move objects up to 75 pounds
- Stand, kneel, bend, and climb in order to complete projects
- Walk or stand for long periods of time
- Drive a 12 passenger van with an attached trailer (if needed)
- Operate a smartphone
Perks and Benefits:
The salary for this position is $32,000-40,000. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff. CEO is also dedicated to ongoing staff development and training, including regular training opportunities in Motivational Interviewing (MI). MI is one evidence-based skill that reentry and human service professionals can utilize when supporting participants to achieve their goals. as overtime is frequently incurred.We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more at ceoworks.org.
CEO is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.