Employee Benefits Specialist
Please see details about this opening below. To apply, click here for the application.
CEO seeks a Specialist, Employee Benefits to join our dynamic Employee Experience team. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Benefits, the Specialist, Employee Benefits will support the creation of a comprehensive benefits strategy that drives toward CEO providing best in class benefits offerings, benefits training, and benefits onboarding for staff.
This position works closely with our Talent Acquisition, Inclusive Experience, Legal and Compliance, Program, and Finance teams. They provide benefits support and consultation to the organization, anticipating and answering employee questions, generating and refining benefit policies and practices, educating employees about their benefits, and resolving any issues related to benefits, leave accruals, and accommodation requests. The Benefits Specialist will assist the Senior Manager, Benefits with planning and roll out of new benefits programs and initiatives, which includes collecting, analyzing, and taking action on relevant data, helping drive team objectives, and serving as a thought partner on benefit program improvements and process efficiencies. They will also ensure we remain in compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative partner who has a desire and interest in supporting a high impact non-profit in improving the employee experience. This position will be based in one of our California offices, working as part of a team mostly located in NYC.
Who You Are
● You have 3-4 years of experience with benefits and/or total rewards strategy and administration, preferably in a nonprofit, foundation, or social sector/civic organization; you’re used to operating within a fast-paced, mission-driven, and social justice-minded nonprofit organization.
● You’re eager to apply your experience and skillset to supporting employees in understanding the value of and in accessing our benefits offerings
● You’re an outstanding communicator, able to communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in writing, and able to tailor your communication style to various stakeholders
● You have demonstrable understanding and knowledge of HR best practices and relevant federal, state and local CA employment laws, and are able to translate these for non-HR users
● You’re a self-starter who enjoys brainstorming and testing new ideas, sharing your ideas with others for feedback, and implementing and refining as you go.
● You pay superb attention to detail and strive for accuracy in all things.
● You value learning from your clients and customers (internal and external) and consider the user experience to be integral to Employee Experience work.
● You’re able to coordinate multiple moving pieces and maintain an efficient workflow under pressure despite setbacks; you enjoy employing your organizational abilities, time and project management skills to support your performance.
● You’ve demonstrated an aptitude and ability with technology (with the Google Suite) and you’ve used systems to collect and report out on data.
● You understand the importance of confidentiality and exercise good judgment to maintain the confidentiality of critical and sensitive information, records, and reports.
● You enjoy setting ambitious goals and demonstrate eagerness, discipline, and resilience in achieving goals individually and collectively, no matter the complexities that arise.
● You love learning and are particularly interested in building your own knowledge and skills in support of organizational needs, mission, and goals.
Responsibilities of the Specialist, Employee Benefits will include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Research and analyze CEO’s benefit offerings, including medical, dental, vision and disability insurance, to ensure their competitiveness with similar organizations and relevancy for employees
● Identify emerging benefits best practices and offerings that would increase the competitiveness of our benefits package to meet the needs of our growing workforce.
● Evaluate the costs and benefits of benefits and wellness programs
● Gather and analyze benefit benchmarking data and make recommendations based on trends
● Train employees on our benefit offerings at point of hire and during their tenure at CEO
● Revamp the benefits onboarding process, including a revamped benefits orientation
● Serve as a point of contact for educating staff on leave options, as well as monitoring leave balances to ensure employee compliance
● Serve as the primary resource and internal expert on California laws and compliance information
● Respond to employee inquiries about benefits programs, policies and processes
Benefits Systems and Administration:
● Serve as a thought partner, collaborating with the Senior Manager of Benefits on resolving benefits issues
● Manage the logistical aspects of the benefits onboarding and offboarding process, including preparing new hire or exiting staff information, conducting new hire orientations and benefits offboarding conversations, and ensuring completion of needed documentation
● Manage the organization's annual benefits open enrollment process
● Reconcile monthly medical billings for additions and terminations
● Monitor and partner with the HRIS Specialist on benefits audits, including 5500 progress tracking.
● Monitor and track all 403(b) changes, as well as process pension information on the payroll platform.
● Collaborate and proactively communicate with the Employee Experience, Launch & Training, IT, Operations, and other departments as needed across CEO to implement CEO’s onboarding program, ensuring all teams have the needed new hire info to successfully onboarding them
● Serve as an active and proactive contributor and collaborator of the larger Human Capital team including leading team meetings, lending expertise, and supporting colleague projects.
● Lead special projects that drive CEO’s strategic plan forward as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities. What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, and Rockefeller Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more at ceoworks.org.