Director, State Policy (West Region)
Please see details about this job opening below. To apply, click here for the job application.
CEO is looking for a leader to join its growing policy team and to help lead our efforts to engage State leaders around increasing their investment in reentry employment services and expanding opportunities to people coming home from incarceration. CEO is one year into a pilot project that is specifically focused on working with State leadership (Governor’s, Agency Heads, Legislators) on expanding their commitment to reentry employment services. In order to do this we are building a team that is working to present a state policymakers with a vision for scaling CEO’s reentry employment services statewide. In the past, we’ve pursued multiple funding streams from various local, state, and federal agencies, combining them to cover our operating costs. A successful state-level approach would allow us to more easily ramp up our offerings in existing cities and in turn enable us to offer larger-scale access to our model. In some cases this may be specific to CEO but often will involve building out resources for the entire reentry employment field.
We’re seeking an experienced and connected Director who will lay the groundwork for and securing state-level commitments to support the scaling of CEO’s program in Central and Western states (California, Colorado and potentially Washington). This is an exciting opportunity for an individual interested in playing a key role in a project that blends together policy, strategy, and a commitment to our services in a very unique way.
This position is currently funded for two years. Continuation of the position is dependent upon the availability of future funding which we hope to be able to secure. This position can be based in one of the following cities: Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose, CA or Denver, CO.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recently released from incarceration. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities.
What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, Blue Meridian Partners, Robin Hood Foundation, Google.org, George Kaiser Family Foundation, and the James Irvine Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
Who You Are
- You are deeply dedicated to social justice and come to CEO with 5+ years of experience working in justice, re-entry, or workforce policy.
- You’ve developed strategies to achieve policy objectives and have successfully led a team around strategy implementation.
- You’ve liaised directly with high-level state officials which have directly led to policy reform and/or investment in promoted initiatives.
- You have top-notch research and analytical skills (preferably with knowledge and analysis of state budgets).
- You ideally have experience as a policy analyst researching and analyzing complex issues and developing recommendations on possible solutions or amendments and subsequent recommendations for policy actions.
- You’re skilled at clearly, enthusiastically, and accurately presenting information to groups both verbally and in writing, with the ability to tailor your style and communications based on your audience.
- You enjoy taking initiative, diving into unknown territory and collecting the information you need from internal and external entities.
- You prefer a balance of independent and teamwork, with a particular interest in checking in with program leads to ensure your work stays connected to organizational initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Senior Policy Director and colleagues to develop state-specific values propositions, including identifying and bringing on consultants within target states to support this work.
- Analyze state justice and workforce trends and budgets for potential funding opportunities that could be dedicated towards scaling funding for CEO’s services
- Engage with and present values propositions to executive level leadership, including Governors and state agency Directors, to secure their interest in investing in CEO
- Generate written content, including proposals and briefs, to facilitate engagement with executive and high-level state officials
- Supervise, support, and develop a team of analysts and a Senior Policy Associate based in California focused on research and content development
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is commensurate with demonstrated experience and abilities. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continuous learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.