Coordinator, Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives (NYC)
Please see details about this job opening below. To apply, click here for the application.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) provides employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. Across the United States, over 6,000 people participate in CEO each year, transitioning to employment that supports themselves, their families, and their communities. What began as a demonstration project of the Vera Institute of Justice in the 1970s to address employment barriers facing the formerly incarcerated following release in New York City has grown into the leading reentry employment organization in the country, where over 25,000 formerly incarcerated individuals have secured full-time employment since 1996. Since 2009, CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, and Rockefeller Foundation. In 2016, CEO embarked on a 5-year strategic plan to grow to serve 9,000 participants annually.
The Coordinator, Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives will join a growing Employee Experience (EX) team whose mission is to promote an inclusive, engaging, and meaningful work experience for all of our employees through the areas of benefits and people operations, talent acquisition, learning and development, and inclusive experience.
Reporting to the Manager, Inclusive Experience, the Coordinator, Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives supports the EX team in building an inclusive environment at CEO. They will serve as a champion of CEO values and related diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives and leverage their project coordination skills to cultivate safe spaces that foster feelings of belonging and to ensure our DEI programs and offerings are meeting the needs of our employees.
On any given day, the Coordinator, Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives may be meeting with affinity group leaders, connecting employees and teams to DEI learning opportunities, or envisioning a project that furthers CEO’s commitment to DEI. The ideal candidate is passionate about DEI, adept at keeping multiple projects running and on track at the same time, and committed to bringing value to all Employee Experience team functions.
Who You Are
- You’re eager to apply your experience and skill set to drive improvements to the employee experience for all within a fast-paced, mission-driven, and social justice-minded nonprofit organization
- You believe that it is important to make decisions through a lens of ever-increasing opportunities for diversity, equity, and inclusion
- You value learning from your clients and customers (internal and external) and consider the user experience to be integral to systems building work; you’re highly curious and excited to learn about different people’s motivations and interests
- You have strong interpersonal awareness and skills focused on listening, supportiveness, and group dynamics as well as a demonstrated understanding of your own identity and how it impacts your work and ability to foster inclusion within the workplace
- You’re an agile self-starter who thrives on collaboration, feedback, and innovation
- You have experience coordinating multiple complex projects, maintaining workflows under pressure despite setbacks; you are detail-oriented and enjoy employing your organizational abilities and time and project management skills to support your performance
- You believe and have some experience in collecting, analyzing, and applying data to drive strategy and decision making
- You’ve demonstrated an aptitude and ability with technology (with the Google Suite) and you’ve used systems to collect and report out on data
The Nitty Gritty
Responsibilities of the Coordinator, Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Inclusive Experience Programs and Initiatives (60%)
- Coordinate and manage CEO’s affinity group program by ensuring that affinity group leaders have the knowledge, skills, and logistical and technical support to lead regular affinity group meetings, and by identifying and acting on opportunities to increase the affinity group program’s visibility and impact at CEO
- Develop knowledge necessary to thought-partner with affinity group leaders and provide support around group meetings, agenda creation, and various affinity group programs, events, and initiatives
- Support the development and implementation of programs, trainings, events, and other initiatives including the DEI Steering Committee that continue to build DEI knowledge, awareness, and action across the organization
- Support the development and implementation of pilot programs that continue to provide learning and leadership opportunities to employees who identify with historically marginalized groups
- Regularly identify, develop and distribute resources that foster DEI knowledge building across the organization
People Data and Analytics (25-30%)
- Support the Employee Experience team in coordinating a seamless employee experience feedback cycle at CEO by collecting people data through a variety of methods, including surveys and interviews; by analyzing people data for trends and supporting data deep dives/action planning with staff; and by closing the feedback loop, i.e., communicating out data trends and plans to address
- Prepare reports and data dashboards that support the team and organization in measuring its progress against human capital and employee experience goals and metrics, distributing these to key stakeholders, as needed
Organizational and Team Support (10-15%)
- Support the organization in practicing and living out its values, with major focus on leading and contributing to initiatives that drive our mission to promote an inclusive, engaging, and meaningful work experience for all of our employees
- Serve as an active and proactive contributor and collaborator of the larger Employee Experience team, supporting colleagues on and leading projects related to DEI, People Data and Analytics, Talent Acquisition, etc.
- Monitor the Staff Suggestions inbox and develop and process around regularly raising feedback received through the inbox for analysis and action
- Facilitate and lead team meetings as needed; prep materials and coordinate logistics for meetings and events, such as staff training, as needed
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this entry-level position is commensurate with demonstrated experience and abilities. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continuous learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more at ceoworks.org.