Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) is dedicated to providing immediate, effective, and comprehensive employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. CEO’s programs help participants regain the skills and confidence needed for successful transitions to stable, productive lives. CEO serves more than 6,000 participants a year, giving them the opportunity to support themselves and their families, remain crime-free, and contribute positively to their communities.
Headquartered in New York City, CEO currently operates in 22 cities across eight states. In 2016, CEO embarked on a five-year strategic plan to serve 9,000 participants annually. CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations, including the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Greenlight Fund, James Irvine Foundation, Tipping Point Community, and Bank of America Foundation, among many others.
CEO is seeking an experienced Communications Manager to join our Communications team. The role will work to strengthen CEO’s institutional voice and build CEO’s growing national brand by driving the development and execution of CEO’s communication strategy. This is an exciting leadership opportunity for an individual interested in elevating sector and community awareness of and engagement with an organization aiming to have deep and broad impact within the criminal justice reform and reentry-workforce movements.
Reporting to the NYS Executive Director, the Communications Manager works closely with the Development and Policy teams and Executive team to create and implement CEO’s marketing and content strategy ensuring a consistent and impactful organizational voice and tone. The Communications Manager leads a team of writers and web designers to generate content across a variety of channels, produces white papers and briefs on CEO’s work, and manages CEO’s website and social media content.
Who You Are:
- You have at least 5 years of demonstrated experience in and a proven track record of producing pieces that increase sector and community engagement and drive leads.
- You’ve generated content for multiple mediums and audiences, including websites (website copy and blogs), social media platforms, print and online news platforms (opinion editorials, articles), funders (proposals, case statements, reports), etc.
- You exemplify top notch research and editing skills, and the ability to support and coach others when it comes to producing quality content.
- You have the ability to effectively lead a team to meet tight deadlines, re-prioritizing as needed, communicating potential conflicts before they arise, and balancing and executing on feedback from a variety of collaborators.
- You are able to effectively work with senior leadership and other CEO departments to produce high quality and impactful written content. This includes developing policy briefs, creating opinion-editorials, CEO marketing materials, and social media content.
- You have experience developing, curating CEO’s website and content.
- You’re deeply dedicated to achieving personal, team and organizational goals through thoughtful time management, focused communications and teamwork, and continuous learning.
- Manage media inquires and support staff in preparing for media interviews.
- Develop style guides and other communications tools for use by staff.
- Develop and deliver presentations and trainings to support staff development and support building efforts that improve CEO’s ability to engage key stakeholders.
- Able to use Salesforce to manage your team’s performance.
Experience and Education:
- You have at least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- You have a minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- A BA in Journalism, English, Communications, or a related discipline, is required
- Certifications in Supervisory Skills, Public Management or Development Management preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for the position is $70,000- $85,000. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
How to Apply:
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and writing portfolio (containing at least five pieces of work that have been published or used publicly by previous employers) via our website (www.ceoworks.org/careers). Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
More About Us:
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.