Chief Operating Officer
Please see details about this job opening below. To apply, click here for the job listing.
It is an exciting time at CEO as the organization is in the midst of major growth and expansion. As they have replicated their program in multiple new cities and grown existing programs to serve larger numbers of participants, CEO has recognized the need to devote greater attention to and invest additional resources in their central functions to ensure that the internal infrastructure can support and service the growing needs of the program.
As part of this investment, CEO is seeking an experienced, dynamic, and forward-thinking Chief Operating Officer (COO) to develop a sustainable and scalable vision for operational excellence at CEO, leading the Operations, Human Capital, Compliance, and IT teams and working across the organization in addressing critical and complex challenges.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, Sam Schaeffer, the COO will serve as a core member of the executive team and will be based in the New York City office.
Responsibilities of the COO will include, but are not limited to:
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Serve as a strategic advisor, functional expert, and coach to their own team, executive team, and the senior team regarding key operational, legal, management, and people matters
- In close partnership with the Operations, IT, Compliance, and Human Capital team leads, set the overall vision and build the one-, three-, five-, and 10-year strategic plan and priorities for operational functions as a whole and individually, ensuring these are in alignment with CEO’s overall strategic plan and integrated to enable an exceptional employee experience; define and communicate the division’s vision, mission, and priorities to the larger CEO team
- Collaborate with executive colleagues in achieving CEO’s mission, vision, and growth strategy, making data-driven decisions that best position the organization to achieve its strategic plan, making and supporting trade-off decisions that arise within the everyday realities of the work, and resolving or coaching others to resolve complex issues that arise between and across departments
- Facilitate the process of annual planning and goal setting with the CEO team
- Ensure that CEO’s program, policies, and processes are in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations, proactively coordinating risk management in fiscal, business, programming, and people operations
- Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion across CEO and ensure all organizational policies, structures, and practices reflect an inclusive and equitable approach
- Maintain productive relationships and communication channels across the organization
Team Development and Leadership Management
- Envision the staffing resources and structure needed to achieve the Operations, IT, Compliance, and Human Capital teams’ strategic priorities and goals
- Integrate the systems and processes of the Operations, IT, Compliance, and Human Capital teams
- Foster an environment in which cross-functional staff work together on operational initiatives and projects in a manner that encourages learning, partnership, and innovation
- Hire, develop, evaluate, and retain a high-performing, effective, and diverse team that serves as an exemplar for best-in-class talent management and development practices, collaboration, and employee experience
- Facilitate the process of annual planning and goal setting with the team
- Catalyze team leads to serve as key players and/or consultants in organization-wide initiatives that may have impact on employee experience or organizational efficiency implications
Employee Experience, Operations, and Compliance
- Envision robust technology, data, and system solutions within specific departments and cross-departmentally to improve service and efficiency, increase communication, reduce costs, drive data-informed decision-making, and enhance employee experience through improved service delivery
- Ensure all CEO offices and teams have a cost-effective, efficient, and values-aligned human capital, operational, and IT plan that maximizes use of technology to support employee experience
- Ensure that CEO’s central operational and human capital functions understand and are poised to support program delivery across CEO’s 21 offices
- Partner with Human Capital team leads, the senior team, and employees throughout the organization to foster a culture of learning, development, and support, including the implementation of training and development programs and initiatives tied to clearer and more accessible career pathways
- Lead Operations team to refine and optimize day-to-day operations through the organization
- Lead team of HR, compliance, and legal experts to advise on and coordinate the drafting and negotiation of CEO’s contracts and other legal documentation, investigate potentially fraudulent activity, personnel matters, and other events, and conduct legal scans of potential jurisdictions for CEO expansion
The ideal candidate will have the following personal competencies and characteristics:
- At least 10 years of experience, with at least five years of senior leadership experience, and a track record of success leading growing organizations to achieve operational excellence
- High energy and commitment to CEO’s mission
- Commitment to building and fostering a diverse, inclusive, and collegial workplace; multicultural competence and ability to work across lines of difference
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop high-performing and diverse teams who deliver on ambitious goals and benchmarks
- Deep commitment to innovation and a strong sense of how to use technology, data, and systems to improve service and efficiency, reduce costs, drive data-informed decision-making, and enhance employee experience
- Demonstrated success developing and monitoring systems to support rapid growth that involve high levels of collaboration
- Exceptional listening, trust-building, and interpersonal skills, with ability to influence, engage, and build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders on complex matters
- Ability to provide teams with a clear sense of direction under tight timelines, especially in times of change
- Experience with organizational, strategy, and budget development, with the capacity to allocate resources strategically and manage spending against budget
- Proactive attitude, future-focused thinking, sense of humor, and ability to achieve in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness and ability to travel
Trisha Sutrisno of Koya Leadership Partners is exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Center for Employment Opportunities welcomes diversity and highly encourages applications from people of color and people with convictions. The Center for Employment Opportunities is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
The compensation for this position is commensurate with experience. The Center for Employment Opportunities offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays, and more. The Center for Employment Opportunities is a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings, and more for staff.
Please click here for the job listing.